Friday, May 18, 2007

First Ring Game

After a couple of years of exclusively playing sit-n-goes and a few mtt, I decided yesterday to to start playing some micro-limit ring games. My goal is to see if I can consistently show a profit and hopefully move up in limits as I improve my cash game.

I also have a secondary goal. That is to see if I can show more patience and make more higher percentage plays. Lately, these are my biggest shortcomings in tournament play. Perhaps without the pressure of increasing blinds, I can concentrate on the math. I also hope to target weaker opponents and avoid the stronger ones. This should be easier without the pressure of collecting all the chips at a table.

So, I chose for my first session a 0.10/0.25 NL six-handed table. I bought in for the maximum buy-in of $25. After 36 min, my stack was down to $22.50. I had been treading water for the most part. Up a couple of dollars, then down a couple. I was starting to loosen up my play when the following hand occurred. I was dealt 9h Th in 2nd position and open raised to 0.75. I hate to limp in very often and I like to disguise the strength of my hand, so I used a standard three-times the BB raise. I also felt that since I was fishing for a big hand, like a straight or a flush, perhaps I should start to build a bigger pot.

Well, the button and BB call my raise and we see a flop with 2.35 in the pot. The 7c 8h Ah flop is great for me. I now have both an open ended straight draw and a flush draw. Unless someone has a bigger flush draw, or flopped a set, I have 15 outs to a made hand. Without more information, I should be about a 55% favorite to make my hand. Against a flopped set, I would only be around 40% to win. Since no one re-raised me pre-flop, I can pretty much eliminate the AA. I also would not put either of my opponents on 77 or 88... except maybe 5% of the time. So, I am pretty sure that I am a favorite.

Well, the BB bets the flop at 2.00. Almost a pot sized bet. I have 21.75 behind and he has me covered, so I want to start building the pot now while I am still a favorite. I do find it strange that he open bets into a preflop raiser when an Ace flops. Perhaps he woke up with a strong ace in the BB and is seeing if I have high pocket that may be dominated.

Anyway, I raise to 8.00. A bigger raise than normal, but I want it to look like I hate early position preflop callers who open bet the flop. Or maybe, I just want it to look suspicious like I don't want a call. (Incidentally, this is something that I truly hate with a passion. It is a weak play. If you really think you out-flopped a pre-flop raiser, why not let him do some of the betting for you?) Anyway, the button makes a very curious and surprising call and then the BB jams it up to $24.

Well, now warning bells are going off in my head. Did the BB wake up with a monster? If he has a flopped set, he is a 60% favorite. Maybe he has two pair, then we are pretty much a coin toss. Worse case scenario is that he has a higher flush draw, then I am only 33% to win.

Additionally, the button still concerns me. He smooth called a raise and a re-raise on the flop. Maybe he has a bigger flush draw. If I am up against a flush draw and some kind of flopped set, then I am drawing thin. Maybe 15% or less.

Well, the pot now has $42 and I need to call with $13.75. That gives me great odds. The worst case scenario is that the last one I listed and that would require the button to call with his last $8. That would make a $50 pot for me to win on a $13.75 dollar bet. Not quite the odds that I would want if I am drawing only to a straight draw.

Well, I decided that I am more likely around 40% to win the pot, so I make the call. The BB also quickly calls... doh!

We flip over the cards and the BB shows AK (no hearts) and the button shows A2 (no hearts). Wow. BB really went to town with TPTK, and what the hell was the button thinking? Gotta love micro limits. Anyway, now I see that I am 59% to win this pot. This is what cash games are about.

So, the turn and flop come Qd and 6s. I river the nut straight. The outcome is meaningless. The process is key. I doubt I can coax anyone with TPTK to put in all their chips on that flop at higher levels, but it sure felt good.

So, first day at the micro limit ring game. Cashed in up $32.

No comments: