Sunday, May 20, 2007

REK and Sun Volt

Not together, but back to back nights at Lincoln Theater downtown.

I have seen Robert Earl Keen 5 or 6 times (concerts become a hazy memory for me). Friday night was kind of last minute thing, but my cousin and my L decided to go. Boy was it worth it. We got in kind of early and got a great spot near the band on the right side. Halfway through his opening song, the vocals went out of the right speakers. It took them FOUR SONGS to fix it. Nevermind, it was a great setlist and we throughly enjoyed the show. I know we all drank too much and I sang too loudly to the hits, but it was a great REK show.

Saturday night, Sun Volt headlined a benefit for Big Brothers, Big Sisters. Theyclosed off Cabarrus street and set up an outside stage. This was my first Sun Volt show, and I must say that I thought they were awesome live. Even though I love very little of their stuff, I thought they had a better live show than Wilco (the other face of Uncle Tupelo). Jay's vocals are biggest difference for me. It could be that the two times I have seen Wilco have been in these bug festival settings, and they didn't seem to project enough to involve the audience. I would like to see them in a more intimate setting some day.

No comments: