Thursday, May 24, 2007

River Question

It is 0.05/0.10 NL and there are only three people sitting in on this hand. We all have larger than starting stacks, and I am in the SB with A6os. The button who has the largest stack and loves to bully, calls for 0.10. I raise to 0.40. BB folds and the button re-raises minimum to 0.70. I call. Normally the minimum raise would worry me, but I have watched this guy and he would normally push big time with any premium hand. He is probably just pumping up the pot since he has position and is setting me up to "make a play"

Flop comes 964 all diamonds. I hit middle pair. I bet out $1.50 into the pot of $1.50. Button calls. I don't like the all diamonds since I don't hold any and he must love it. Doesn't matter to him if he has a diamond, I am sure he will try to buy the pot if another one hits.

The turn comes and it is a 7c. No diamond, and I doubt he holds a 7, but who knows? I bet out $3.20 into the $4.50 pot. Button calls without hesitation.

The river comes a 2c. No more diamonds. I decide that the pot is nice sized and I do not want to give my opponent the opportunity to raise me all-in, so I check on the river. Now the button decides to make a move and bets $5.

Hmmm.... $5 into a $11 pot. There is the possibility that he had flopped the flush. There are also several crazy straight possibilities if he held 35, 58 or 8T. He also could have hit the 9 (or the 7), but I would have expected him to bet out to protect his top pair from the flush.

Anyway, I decide that if I call I would only have to win this bet 1 in 4 times to make it worth it ($5 to win $16). I eliminate the re-raise since he would fold hands I could beat and call with anything that beats me. Preflop, my gut told me he would try a move, and this may be it. Perhaps he reads me as having a single high diamond and I missed the board.

So, I call. Button shows Q6 (both clubs) for the same middle pair. I win $21 (including my last call) with my ace kicker.

Should I have called? Do you think I will win this pot at least 1 in 4 times? I do not think that pots will come this easily at the higher limits.

Anyway, my short 30 minute session gave me a quick profit of $15. After six days, my profit at 0.05/0.10 is up to $90. Not bad for about 8 hrs of play at such small limits.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I would have played the hand differently. I would have limped, maybe made a half pot bet on the flop. If called then hope to check it down. The way you played it I probably would have folded on the river. It seems though the games you play in are more aggressive. The tables I play at are generally very passive. However if the player is a known "maniac" yeah you are probably good 1 in 4.

thrak said...

I would normally have played it similar to the way you describe. The reason I played it as I did was that I saw that this was a "maniac" who nearly always made plays at big pots. Obviously, my opponent could have taken advantage of his reputation to trap me, but he didn't. He was merely playing positionally, but he waited until the river to define his hand. All in all, I gambled while taking advantage of one of his weaknesses and got lucky. In the short term, either of us could be lucky, but in the long term, I would hope that I generally would finish ahead.