Tuesday, May 22, 2007

The Trap

Bwah ha ha (supposedly evil laugh). The perfect trap.

So, in my normal game of six handed 0.05/0.10 NL ring game, I set the perfect trap. I am in the BB with 4d5d and I check my option after a couple of limpers call from late position. The flop is 23Q with two diamonds. I have the open ended straight draw as well as the flush draw. My favorite hand. Sadly, the Q is one of the hearts, so I do not also have a open-ended straight flush draw (ok, that would be my real favorite hand).

So, I check (as I almost always do from the blinds on the flop) and one late position villain bets pot. I call his 0.35 bet. Why not raise? Well, I have seen this guy and he loves to keep firing with very little.

The turn brings the 10d and I get the flush. I check again, and the Villian bets pot again ($1), and I just smooth call. He is betting for me. Yippee. The river luckily doesn't bring another diamond, so I am golden. I check, and sure enough the villain fires another time, this time $2 into a $3 pot... so I finally spring my trap. I check-raise him to $6 (a raise of $4). He quickly calls and flips over J7... BOTH DIAMONDS. Doh! I lose to bigger flush.

So, what did I do wrong. Well, first of all, I never even considered what the villain had. I assumed he hit a pair on the flop and didn't even notice the flush. Obviously, he was semi-bluffing on the flop and continued his same betting pattern when he hit, and I was totally clueless.

How could I have played the differently. I am up for suggestions, but the first thing that I would point out is that on the turn when I made my flush, I shouldn't have played 45 like the nuts. It is far from it. I should have check-raised on the turn to see where I am. I would hope to just take it down there, or get a call and then make a value bet on the river if I think I am ahead. The turn check-raise would be less $ and should help define where I stand.

Another alternative that I like is just calling down his bets and never re-raising him. Since he is doing the betting for me, why give him the chance to re-raise. This will still give me a decent profit on my flush in most cases, and avoid the bigger loss when I am drawing dead.

Anyway, I ended the session up $9 (90 bbs), after winning several less interesting hands.

So far I am up $50 (500 bbs) in my micro limit cash game career.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think that either way you play it raise on turn or flat call you will lose about the same amount of money. Do you think you would fold to a raise on the turn? Then if you call you will be forced into a tough decision on the river. I think the way you played it is fine, sometimes you make your hand and you just lose, more often you will be winning here.